The curtain is closing

Three weeks left until I go home. I cannot believe I have been here for 5 months already. As I start my preparations for my return, I have mixed feelings about my stay here, with a fair share of ups and downs. In any case, six months is enough and I am looking forward to my own bed and a bit of comfort. Looking back, I have learned much about myself, how I relate to others and form relationships, how I deal with hardship and solitude, and how to let go of my ego. I have seen what poverty and hardship does to people, and how it shapes their world, their customs and culture.

The view I enjoyed for 5 months
I suspect however that the valuable lessons I have learned here will not become apparent until I have had time to digest it all. I am still smack in the middle of it here, applying coping strategies for everything I do. For example, as I sit here planning a simple run to the supermarket to get coffee and milk, I have to factor in a number of variables. Firstly, do I walk, ride my bicycle, or take a taxi? Walking means being approached by at least 10 people along the road offering their services as a tourist guide or just wanting to have a chat. It would take too long and today I am not in the mood for casual banter. Taking a taxi would be the easiest but most expensive option, and I would really need to stock up on supplies to make it worth the trip. That leaves the bicycle, which is the fastest way and allows me to bypass unwanted approaches. However, it does mean that I will be soaking in sweat when I get back due to the heat so I will need to shower. Then I need to consider the time, going out between 12:00 and 15:00 is not an option due to the heat. So I have to go in the morning or the afternoon. What do I have planned for the afternoon, can I combine it with any other trips? So a simple trip to the supermarket becomes a decision tree.

Living here it is sometimes tempting to let go of my European values of efficiency and time management, as holding on to these values inevitably results in frustration and dissappointment when dealing with local people. Things are just done differently here, at a much slower pace, and it's not so much about the end result but more about personal relationships. But where do I draw the line? The sponsors of the foundation want to see that their money is being put to good use. They want tangible results. But coming up with deadlines and complicated business models will not produce results here. Taking little steps towards the end goal with lots of coaching, ecouragement, and evaluation is the way to getting things done here.

This country is full of contrasts and contradictions
I sometimes wonder what skills I have learned here that I can take back with me and apply back home.  Certainly they are not business skills as our western models do not apply here in Africa, but more soft skills such as empathy, patience, and learning how to listen and read in between the lines. I have done a lot more listening than talking here. There is no such thing as asking a question and getting a straight answer. It often happens that the answer to a question surfaces in a conversation weeks later. Reading non-verbal communication is also an important skill to recognise if someone is actually understanding what is being said. I have been in meetings where people nod in agreement to everything being discussed, but leave the meeting with no understanding of what was said. I can see it in their eyes, and the way they fidget in their chairs uncomfortably.

Most importantly I have made progress in letting go of my ego; my expectations, my need for recognition and gratitude, and my system of beliefs of what is right and wrong.  But more about that another time, I will need an entire post to explore the intricacies of the ego and the obstacles it presents to personal development.







Comments

Popular Posts